So I'm riding my bike a lot more lately. I ride my bike to my chinese class because the parking rates at the U of Minnesota are extraordinarily high. I really like riding and it makes me feel good. Plus, I get to use a special road that only bikers and the buses can use that's a total shortcut. I hope to be able to ride for a while longer, but the winters here are brutal and I'm not sure how many months my bike will be sitting in the garage during those subzero crazy snow like days.
Anyway, back to the story. I found a baby bunny on the side of the road (alive still- not road kill). It was so small it didn't have it's eyes open yet. I didn't know what to do. I didn't see the mother bunny around nor any of the little guys brothers and sisters not did I see anything that looked remotely like a little bunny hole or nest. So I called reuben and asked him what to do. Now, he doesn't know anything about animals but he gave me permission to save the bunny. I picked it up to do something for it and thought, "oh no, now there's no chance for the bunny! The mother will eat it or won't accept it if it smells like me!"
Anyway, I took the bunny home and it was pretty darn cute. I got home and looked up everything that I could about bunnies and taking care of them and it didn't take me long to find out that wild rabbits are basically impossible to take care of. Most of them die, even if they are taken care of by a professional. Jack rabbits in particular are impossible, because they are so wild that once they get stronger, if you get anywhere near them to try to feed them, they will hop away at full force and can run themselves into a wall or the side of the box so hard it could kill them.
I read stories and poems and got more and more depressed. I realized that I probably couldn't do anything for the bunny, especially since we were going on vacation in a few days and probably wouldn't be able to get the bunny on my carry on, right? So, one thing I read said that bunnies aren't canabalistic, they won't eat their babies if they smell funny. The mom comes to them only once a day, and only for a few minutes to feed them, usually during the midnight hours. If one is missing they will look for their babies within a 50 yard radius. So I felt utterly stupid and just got in the car and put the bunny right where I found it (well, not on the road this time, on the side of the road.) That's the last time I try to save any bunnies!
Update- I've been riding past that same area where I found the bunny and haven't seen any bunny corpses lying around. I hope that's a good sign!
1 comment:
That is hilarious and so Cute!
Post a Comment