Monday, December 22, 2008

Potty training???

So Ariana has been interested in the potty for awhile. i got her a potty seat over a month ago and put her on it whenever she wants or just before her bath- just about once a day. She's never peed in it but she goes through all the other actions just fine- toilet paper (always wanting too much of course) flushing, washing, etc. She's not the least bit scared of anything and she's totally obsessed with potty functions.

Today, I put her on the toilet when she got a whim and it was the first time that she actually made some tinkle!! It was actually pretty exciting. My question for all you people who are experienced in potty training a toddler is, do you think that I could actually get her potty trained before the next one comes? She'll be 2 in the middle of February and the next one is due May 1.

Someone asked me a few weeks ago if I was planning on potty training her before the next and I said that I thought I'd have two in diapers. Maybe it won't be the case? The thing is, I don't think that she knows how to do it, how she makes pee and poo happen. Today was probably a coincidence. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Bri!!! said...

I know quite a few kids that are potty trained by time they are two. Especially girls, they learn a lot quicker with this I guess...so it is possible. Even if she doesn't before the baby comes, she will soon after that.

Brooklet said...

here is my advice. i started Claire potty training when she was barely two and it took over a year before she was trained (and it was miserable year!!) I think a big problem is I was pushing her to do it when she just wasn't ready. My advice is to wait until she is ready (which could be anywhere from right now, to when she is three). Keep putting her on the toilet and talking to her about going potties, and see how she responds. If she starts telling you she wants to go potties, and if she starts going pee on the potties when you put her on, then maybe she is telling you she is ready. If not, don't try fighting it, because that is miserable! She will do it when she is ready.

Springers said...

Sure... I say go for it! Once they want to, they can do it in just a few days. At least that's how it was for us. Once we have started our kids, we take the diapers away and never look back! Good luck!

Carl and Amber said...

I would totally try potty training. Alyssa was already dry at night before I started training, so I had her sit on the potty while I fed her breakfast or while she watched morning cartoons. That was always successful, and it was a very short time before she totally understood what was going on. Good luck!