Sunday, May 03, 2009

One Week Postpartum

So it's been just over a week since I had the baby. I think that I'm healing up pretty well this time, maybe even better than last time. I walk up and down the stairs all day and I'm doing dishes, cooking food, and taking care of my toddler. Reuben is around on his paternity leave so I do get a break from Ariana because she is exhausting, unlike our son, who is just exhausted and sleeps all day and night. (Well- sleeps and wakes up every 3 hours both day and night- pretty awesome schedule so far! Ariana ate every 2 hours throughout the day until she was almost a year old!)

The first couple of days were really hard at the hospital. I was sore of course and the longer I was in the hospital, actually the worse I felt. I had the baby at night so that night was pretty shot as far as sleep. The next two nights I was also at the hospital too and got 2 or 3 hours. When Corban finally fell asleep all the doctors and everyone came in to check up on us all morning. The last morning I was there I threw up- just another symptom of jet lag- which is how I felt.

When I came home I felt a lot better, but still so tired. Every night since Corban's sleeping has got better and better. The last two nights it's just been every 3 hours and he goes right back to sleep after he's done eating. He only slept in our room for the first night and since then he's decided that he likes the portacrib better than he likes our bedside bassinet (the co-sleeper). Ariana slept in the co-sleeper for 5 months without a problem but Corban thinks that it's not as comfortable and actually wakes up if we put him in there. Believe me, waking this kid up is not an easy thing to do.

So things are going well. I haven't gone outside much, but I'm just feeling like walking around now. Yesterday I felt like I needed to get out so we went to the zoo and met some friends there. That night Reuben was trying out P90X, a workout program and it was yoga day. I joined him for some yoga and was actually not sore in the morning. Actually, come to think of it, this is the first day that I haven't taken pain killers since the baby. So, one week later and I feel almost normal again. Awesome.

This week I'm going to go back to class- not all of them, just one a day. Anymore and I'd have to figure out what to do with the whole feeding situation. I don't want to introduce a bottle too soon, even if it's pumped milk, because I don't want to jeopardize our feeding. Although, Corban is so much more easy going- Ariana never liked the bottle until she was 6 months old- I don't think that Corban will care.

So Thursday I went to class too. One of the guys in class asked me a funny question. He said something like, "Did you have a baby?" in a kinda way that he didn't want to offend me or something. It's funny because it was almost more offensive-I mean, can't you tell that I am no longer 9 months pregnant? I was wearing normal clothes after all and I had publically confirmed to everyone in class that I was pregnant just a few weeks ago. Anyhow.

Going to class was hard but it was good to get feeling normal again. I have a hard time being inside for too long- it makes me depressed, and I'm trying hard not to get the baby blues.

So things are going well and although I don't think that I can take care of both kids so well yet at the same time- I feel like I'm almost a normal person again. Thank goodness that Reuben has one more week of paternity leave and then my mom comes. Ariana is a bit too much for me to handle sometimes.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Katie, Corban is adorable! You did great! I'm glad you're getting out and about. It must be hard to be cooped up, especially after being cooped up all winter. You amaze me with the classes you take and all that you do.