Sunday, August 15, 2010

Time Flies

This has happened every summer we've been here in Minnesota.  Just when I'm getting used to summer, it seems like summer is already coming to a close.  Really, with the weather that we've having, it feels like Autumn should be a far time off.  It was 100 degrees yesterday and with the humidity!  Wowsers!  It's perfect for going to the beach or the swimming pool.  And I really love hot humid nights (until I have to go to sleep, but that's why the AC is always on at our house.)  But I'm always a little in shock when the school supplies starts going on sale, the vacations come to a close, out of the blue we start seeing Halloween decorations, and then I know that summer is almost over.  Here in Minnesota, I always feel like I missed most of it.  Summer is packed with activities here; every weekend has some barbeque or party but after Labor day and the state fair, all the parties are over, the pools close, and somehow the weather instantly changes and it really does start to get chilly, even at the beginning of September. 

This year I'm more ready for it, after surviving 2 previous summers here.  I didn't have to deal with it in California; summer wasn't really over until at least the beginning of October, and then it was still hot for awhile.  December was colder and everyone started wearing scarfs and boots, but mostly just to make a fashion statement.  Then bright and early in January, all the swimming suits went on sale again.

I guess that my experience here is not the other thing that is making me more ready.  It's also a little foreboding because this is the Autumn that I turn 30.  Now it's not over the hill or anything, but it's a big step, I think especially for a woman.  I'm nervous about it.  I don't know if I should be, I have friends who are 30 and they seem just fine.  But I sort of thought that I would have everything figured out by the time I was 30.  So for now, I am just trying my hardest to really dominate my laundry and bill system, really be the best and most efficient mom ever, perfect my cooking, and nurture my marriage.  Really the more I try, the more frustrated that I get, especially when it comes to housework.  It seems like for every hour we spend at home with the kids awake, it means another hour of housework as my kids are more efficient at messing things up that I am at cleaning them up.

Which makes me glad for Autumn in some ways too.  This fall I'll be taking more classes, finishing up my second bachelor's degree.  And while I'll be sad that I won't have as much time that I'm had as in this summer, I'll be happy that I will spend less time at home thinking about how a 30 year old's house should be much more efficient and organized than mine. 

1 comment:

Brooklet said...

I don't think at any age I will figure out the house cleaning equation (at least until my kids are older and can help clean up their constant mess).

Our 'summer' ended last week as Claire went back to school, which feels so early to me and it is still hot as all get out here, which I hear will be the case until late fall. Bummers.


We have halloween decorations and christmas decorations in our stores. Crazy!