Costco. I love it. It feels so much like home inside. And although a trip to costco pretty much means that most of free time in that day is lost (making the list, finding the coupons, driving the distance, getting the stuff, being distracted by samples, getting a snack?, getting out the door, packing the stuff, driving the distance, unpacking the stuff, cleaning out the fridge to make more room, replenishing my emply toilet paper rolls in the bathrooms, flattening the boxes, taking out the recycling. . .) I just love a day at Costco, plus I don’t have to make dinner that night (can you say Ro-tis-ser-ie chicken anyone? With a premade salad?). There are so many products that become weekly staples at our house. We really are never without these products- The dumplings, spinach and cheese ravioli, awesome fish sticks, organic baby spinach, and lovely cheap gallons of milk that have never been poured without spilling (what’s with those containers?) That’s why I think that it’s so weird when I see people coming out of costco with one or two products. For sure, they are usually great products- that perfect chocolate cake, a big thing of TP, bread, milk, eggs, or spinach artichoke dip- but really- unless you just live around the corner, why even go to the biggest store around to get that stuff? Don’t you pay at least 50 bucks a year just to shop here? And even if you did buy that artichoke dip every week, would you get much more outta it than a heart attack?
But for me, Costco has a special place in my heart. I feel like I grew up at Costco. It was always sorta a special treat to go there because we knew we were going to get something good. Even when I was younger and a bit bored by the whole experience, I knew that my mom wasn’t going to leave without buying the biggest brick of cheese you’ve ever have seen. Somehow the experiences that we had and the products we consumed were majorly affected by Costco. Now that I’m older, I can’t even imagine going to Sam’s club, that would be betrayal. And when I see something at someone else house that I knew is from Costco (wow, the mega bag of kettle korn, the Hawaiian bread, the little bunnies snacks, peach mango salsa, etc), I feel like I have a special bond with that person. Wow, they shop at Costco too. That’s something real special. And having a membership to Costco can change your perspective on life. (I can buy it cheaper at Costco, that meat is fresher at Costco, the grapes are more plump at Costco, that place accepts my Costco Amex card. . .)
And now as we will be moving in about 3 months, and I’m starting to think that I wish I would have stocked up just a bit less (how to go through our food storage in that amount of time) or at least saved just a few more of those boxes (the diapers and wipes boxes are perfect moving sizes!). I’m a bit sad that thinking how I really shouldn’t buy too many more massive boxes of tall kitchen garage bags, black beans, disposable aluminum lasagna pans, brownie mixes, plain rolled oats, or dinner napkins. And just when we’re totally out of food in both pantry and freezer, we’ll start living off or rotisserie chicken and premade salad again. And then it will be moving time. And after that then we’ll go back to Costco at our future home and stock up again.
Double seated shopping carts at Costco- kids in snowsuits last year

5 comments:
The double seated shopping carts are my favorite thing about Costco. Whenever we go, we always end up buying things that are given out as samples and spending way too much money. We love Costco, too!
Where are you moving to Katie? Las Vegas??!! (I can dream.)
Hi Jamie. No, not Las Vegas. We're moving back to California, this time to LA. Which, by the way, isn't far from Las Vegas so we'll have to finally see you this time. How many years has it been? We're excited that it's our last real winter, maybe of our lives. Who knows? But Reuben has a job lined up at Long Beach VA.
Katie, first of all CONGRATS on getting back to California! Secondly, I have a love affair with Costco. I'm actually one of those people that often buys just one or two items there, but considering that I can make up to 3 trips to Costco a week it's easy to only buy a couple of things. Costco is a mile away from us which is super nice (and not nice). We love it, and some of the workers know Caleb by name. We sometimes go there just to walk around to get tasters and just play. Yeah, we are tight like that Costco and I:-).
Bri, our costco is about 20 minutes away- more with traffic. It's also not close to many of our usual shopping areas or other activities, so whenever I go, I try to make the most of it. But it's good to know that some of those people who walk out with only a few things aren't just going once a month but might be going multiple times a week like you!
Post a Comment