Thursday, April 23, 2009

On being pregnant. . .

So I'm pregnant just like many other women have been at some point in their lives. This pregnancy has been different from the last pregnancy in some ways. Why don't I just make a list to describe it like all my recent posts? (I am sort of a list person anyway.)

  • Cravings- nothing in particular- the usual cereal (honey nut cherrios, honey bunches of oats) is good for late night hunger pangs, lemon drops, carbohydrate products (although I really don't like crackers since I've been a mom to a toddler-it's such a kid food.) Like always, I like comfort foods when I don't feel so well. This pregnancy I've also been able to tolerate more asian food.
  • Strong dislikes- this pregnancy I really don't like fish- unlike last pregnancy where I loved it. I also don't like white meat chicken unless it's really good rotisorrie style
  • 1st trimester woes- none- I felt great and normal- I forgot that I was pregnant or had that weird feeling like maybe that pregnancy test was a dream. Of course, I still did feel gross sometimes and I wasn't as strong, athletic, or energetic, but felt great. I rode my bike 9 miles a day and lifted weights. My main concerns were with my mental capacity- I was called to primary chorister just in time for the primary program-had to remember all these new songs and the kids' names too! I was having a hard time. Plus I was going to school and also had to remember my stuff for vocab and tests. I felt the baby really early in the pregnancy this time. weight gain was about 4 lbs.
  • 2nd trimester woes- Still felt pretty good. Threw up for the first time in the pregnancy, but it was after eating too much good Chinese food, I guess indirectly caused by the new smallness of my belly. Couldn't ride my bike anymore because of the weather. I didn't exercise as much as I should have to make up for it but I felt like I was pretty busy and did work out still at least 3 or 4 times a week, just not as much cardio because I'm not a fan of indoor cardio. Just after Christmas I developed varicose veins. They hurt a lot and I had to start trying to raise my legs at every opportunity. I still felt pretty good in every other way, but my legs were constantly achy. This trimester I gained a lot of weight and my belly seemed to shoot out from nowhere! During Christmas I gained 9 months. I had tried to eat alright and not overdo it but I was always so hungry! The kid was growing like crazy. The next month I would go to bed a bit hungry every night.
  • 3rd trimester woes- The kid started to pack a punch, like always, just under my right set of ribs. I had a hard time breathing and started feeling out of breath a lot. My varicose veins have decreased. For awhile riding the bike in the morning seemed to help make me feel better all day to get that blood moving, but then I developed weird leg cramps that would make it so I couldn't walk right. That lasted for about 1 1/2 months, but I haven't worked out at all in 2 weeks and they've totally disappeared. That's a relief. I feel a bit bad that I did work out to the very end with my previous pregnancy but I'm really starting to feel so tired at the end of the day. I don't even know if I could take her to the park alone sometimes- she's such a crazy little toddler!
  • Since I've been full term. I don't remember being this anxious with Ariana. I still wasn't all that excited about having a baby, even at the end of my pregnancy- just because I was somewhat aware that our lives would never be the same and I in particular would never have my freedom back again. It was true- Ariana was exclusively breastfed for 5 months and wouldn't take a bottle- plus she ate every 2 hours. She woke up in the night until she was a year old and didn't wean until she was 20 months old. I'm just beginning to enjoy my freedom again only for things to drastically change once more.
  • Some nights I wake up a lot at night. Although I am tired for sure, I think that the secret is waiting up for my husband to go to bed, even if it's 12 or 1 in the morning, because for some reason I sleep much better (probably because I'm exhausted.) Although I feel like going to bed when Ariana goes to bed every night (between 7:30 - 8:30), when I do go to bed early (like around 10pm) I seem to wake up every hour until morning and feel even worse.
  • I have been even worse at nesting than last pregnancy. Although the house is never completely spotless (we have four bathrooms and a crazy toddler who drags toys from one floor to another) I've been more particular about certain things being clean, just in case we have to leave to go the hospital. I would hate to bring a new baby home to a dirty kitchen!
  • I am one of those pregnant women who is always asking- "is it hot in here?" Besides being asked if I'm going through menopause by my 18 year old male classmates, I feel a bit ridiculous being so big and pregnant. But hey, the buildings my classes are in are really really old and don't have a/c. For real, it's like over 80 degrees in there. I'm so glad that I don't have to be super pregnant this summer! It gets really hot and humid here!
  • Although originally I thought that I wanted to try to make it to my due date, (next Friday) really I feel ready to have this baby anytime now. When I first started this semester I thought that I would want to finish out the semester as best I could and I still have two more weeks of classes. But I spent so much of the semester trying to keep up and get ahead that I don't really have much more to do other than the finals. And my belly is starting to get really big and annoying!
  • Whats with the fluid intake? I've never had to drink over a gallon a water a day before.

Anyhow, this post is way too long and detailed, but it'll be a good reminder to me next pregnancy. I don't mean to talk about all the bad stuff in pregnancy. I mean it's fun to anticipate and for who normally wouldn't give you the time of day to start up a conversation with you or for other people to open doors for you or something, but other than anticipation and some cute kicks once in awhile, there isn't much of anything good coming out of pregnancy but being more humbled. Afterall, it's like a mini puberty- but instead of weird things changing in your body over the process of a few awkward years changing you from a girl to a woman, you become a youthful somewhat attractive 20 something woman to a awkward, big, sweaty, strength and energy of a 80 something woman in the process of a few months.

Overall, this pregnancy has been awesome and I'm going to hope for more boys in the future- just so I can skip some of the throwing up. Hopefully more good things are yet to come! (that is, I hope that labor goes alright and we have a healthy baby!)

No comments: