So it's wintertime once again here in Saint Paul. The largest mtns I've seen here in Minnesota are present in every parking lot man made by snow plows. Our garage is getting muddy, are cars are filthy, getting out of the house takes longer, and we haven't spent more than 7 cumulative minutes outside all week. But really it's not that bad. For some reason, it doesn't feel as cold as it did last year, which is impressive because last year I was pregnant and felt like I had an oven for a tummy.
I guess that I'm just getting a bit tougher- either that or all the synthetic and wool fabrics that we wear are just really doing their job.
Yesterday morning I did errands and made 5 stops in 2 hours with two kids in tow without my husband in -9 degree weather- and the good news is that I felt fine.
I was talking with Reuben about it because he doesn't feel as cold as last year either. Apparently a big key is our expectations. Last year I hadn't had a winter in cold weather for 3 years. I was used to running outside all year long. I wore scarves purely as a fashion assessory. I didn't own socks that weren't white and for running in. I hadn't even thought as far as to buy boots. When I unbelievably asked about buying boots for Ariana our toddler, a friend of mine laughed at me. "Of course you need to buy boots." I was in shock.
This year, there is no shock. We're inside. I have two kids and I expect to be inside- either one of them is asleep for most of the day anyway! (long morning napper infant and long afternoon napper toddler.)
And now that the shock is over, I can just enjoy this time. Now I don't have to feel guilty about never going running outside. I can't. I might die. I don't have to feel bad about not getting to know people better, everyone is hibernating.
I can just enjoy the snow outside, even when I have to drive because I know my SUV won't easily get stuck.
The snow is pretty. The snow is cool. Christmas was Christmasy. We live in Minnesota and it's all good.
No comments:
Post a Comment