Tuesday, November 08, 2011

The casualities of potty training

So, I think that Corban is pretty much potty trained.  He also has an amazing bladder, unlike his sister.  He wakes up dry from naps (the sometimes three hour variety included) and also sometimes his 10-12 hour nighttime sleep.  Amazing!!

However, the casualities and failures of potty training have not been few.  These don't necessarily mean the wet pants variety. 

  • Todays casuality- my dignity!  After Ariana's ballet class I decided we should use the public restroom (though he could have probably waited the 6 minute car ride home!)    Unfortunately- he is so independent now that he locks me out of the stall before my pregnant body can catch up and stop him.  Also, my pregnant body cannot fit under the stall to unlock.  After too long, I made my 4 year old climb under the stall to unlock it and what I found was a poo covered toilet seat and a poo covered boy.  Thank goodness for wipes!!  (And thank goodness for skinny four year old helpers!)  Though he was mostly successful, the wiping step proved difficult.  Guess next time I gotta waddle faster to the bathroom before he beats me to the stall!
  • Multiple clogged toilets- one that flooded the bathroom.  This one caused all three of us in the house (me and the kids) to all require a full clothes change and one of us (Corban) and full bath.  This was, of course, after painstakingly dressing in a hurry on our way out to a lesson. 
  • Lots of backyard peeing after seeing a neighborhood dog be the example.  More recently the wilderness peeing including actual aiming and missing wetting the pants at the same time.
  • More inappropriate touching than I would appreciate (now that he doesn't have to wear a velcro diaper all the time).  All I can say is that raising a little boy has been a lot different than raising a little girl!
  • Lots of toilet paper- it seems like I'm always changing our "triple roll, double ply" toilet paper.  It should really be like, a third as often.  Our little boy is sure having fun with that stuff.  I think that's the reason for casuality number two up there- the multiple clogged toilets.
  • I'm sure a lot of wildness to come!

1 comment:

Mark and Emily said...

I am SO not looking forward to that fun next year, it makes me cringe just thinking about all those inevitable messes!!!