Saturday, June 26, 2010

On Being at Home

I'm a stay at home mom (or SAHM) and a big part of my title is that I actually stay at home a lot.  When I was young I always had a slight internal conflict in my mind.  Was I an outside person or an inside person? Was an introvert or extrovert?  Outgoing or not so social?  Of course, like many people I realized that I enjoy a bit of each, being not completely one or the other. 

I still have a bit of that dilemma now as I spent a lot of time at home, mostly cleaning house, chores, cooking, and keeping kids out of trouble.  But I do need to leave the house everyday.  It helps me avoid complete insanity.  Now that Reuben is home from work and recovery from his surgery this weekend, it really makes me feel a bit weird.  Normally we plan too much and are always exhausted from our activities, but we've stayed home most of the day two days in a row (and now we're coming into Sunday which is another day at home.)  I still feel busy because I've been cooking and cleaning up from three meals a day and not just one, plus laundry etc.  But I wonder how I could stay home almost all day and not do other self satisfying activities until now?  And why isn't my house clean yet?  And I still feel really tired.  And I feel a little bit crazy. 

What does everyone else do to get more things done at home, while also chasing around kids and avoid craziness?

5 comments:

Bri!!! said...

I only have one kid so it's much easier. He also takes pretty good naps so I can get stuff done. I agree with you though, usually if I don't get out during the day I go crazy. We wake up and I work out while Caleb destroys the house. Then we play a little and I feed him. While he's eating I clean up his destruction. Then I put him down for a 2.5-3 hour nap. Usually by time he finishes his lunch the house is already mostly clean. I finish after I put him down for his nap and then have down time which is when I get on the computer. To keep the house clean we leave when he wakes up usually until dinner. By then Dad is sometimes home so he doesn't dirty the house much, and then I pick up after he goes to bed at 7:30. It's taken a long time to get this schedule and I LOVE it. It's easy and as much as I am so looking forward to getting pregnant ASAP the part I am dreading is having this schedule disrupted. It will be very hard for me cause I need routine to keep me motivated. I think it will be harder than I imagine.

Brooklet said...

I feel this way a lot- like I am always at home cleaning, so why don't things stay clean (the answer is because I have kids who make messes faster than I can clean up). I don't get a whole lot accomplished. for instance we have been moved into our new house for a week now, and I still haven't put the stuff away in the girls room or in the toy room.

I have always been a bit of a home body, though I do have to get out of the house every couple of days. But not everyday. i need days where I don't have anything planned so I can get things done around the house. But after a day or two of that, I need to go somewhere- anywhere!

Carl and Amber said...

I'm definitely still working on that! I go crazy during any week that I try to clean the whole house in one day. It totally sets me back for days on my mental ability to be inside. Plus, then I can't stand the thought of cleaning for a couple more days, and then the cycle continues! I try to spend time out in the yard just playing with the kids or watching them. I gave up on everyday baths, that way they stay out of the bathroom. I divided up Alyssa's toys into buckets and I keep some on the top of the closet. If she wants to switch buckets, then she has to clean up another bucket full and trade. This way she doesn't fight me in helping to clean. Plus, there are a lot less toys that can get spread around. I rarely pick up while the kids are awake. I do the deeper cleaning when I have time, and then I do a quick pick up at night. This way, my house is typically only a few min. away from being clean if I am going to have unexpected company. When I pick up, I carry a laundry basket with me and put everything in there as I go. This way I never leave the room and I don't waste time walking back and forth. It is so much quicker. Really, I keep the most sane by setting small tasks to accomplish each day and then trying to get some kind of sunshine, even if that is just laying in the grass. I am also counting on additional help from the help in a couple years. I have to constantly remind myself of the "big picture" and what we are working toward right now. It will all pay off someday....right?!

Katie B.C. said...

Thanks for everyone's comments! I love hearing everyone else's ideas! Sometimes I wish that we lived in the olden days in China or in Native American villages where whole families would live together and learn from each other along the way. Sometimes we're so isolated in our homes that I feel we have to learn most things the hard way and by ourselves.

Anyhow, I know some of my problems, and while the house is clean by nighttime, I wish that I didn't have to stay up late cleaning it. And I wish that we could stay home sometimes and just clean. While this weekend was an exception because we didn't have any clear plans, we can't ever ever stay home all day to get things done, though I wish I could like you Brooke. It all ends in frustration so out we go everyday.

Thanks for all the tips!

Trimbles said...

Hey there, so I havent figured this one out yet. And just tonight CT and I got into a tiff about it. I run crazy after kids all freaking day long so anything, cleaning, folding laundry, dishes, it all comes after bedtime. Which leaves me all of NO time for me for anything. Its exhausting. So tonight I decided I wanted to volunteer at a shelter of some sort. I found a emergency childrens center today that I donated a bunch of food to that I wont use before it expires. I would LOVE to spend a day or two volunteering... hence the tiff. Rough being an intern. I understand that. But moms need sanity too.

I forgot you were from Wa. We are loving Spokane. Its beautiful. I didnt notice any kettlecorn venders at hoopfest, but I didnt notice much of anything, it was so crowded :)