Thursday, June 24, 2010

Percocet

Percocet is the brand name for oxycodone and acetominophen blend tablet to treat moderate to severe acute pain.  I've had it a few times after I had babies.  After prescribing it to his patients often, today was Reuben's first time taking it.  (I don't think that he's a fan.) Today was Reuben's first surgery ever.

As I wheeled Corban into the hospital I thought about how we are growing up and growing old together.  Then I looked at my baby in the stroller and remembered that we're still too young for this stuff! Most of the other people I saw were lots older and many were old couples.  I'm sure that we have a lot of this to look forward to!

Seeing Reuben in the recovery room with the IV, in the hospital gown and booties, and looking pretty nauseas and ill was sad, but it reminded me that he's already seen me like that lots of times.  Just from because I am a woman, I get nauseas maybe up to about 12 times a year more than him.  Plus, I've had two pregnancies and labors where I was the one in the hospital gown.  It's not fun to see your spouse suffer, but it was a little fun to see our roles reversed. 

After we came home he slept all day.  I hope that he'll finally catch up on his sleep, he's been deprived for so long and can never make it up (he never gets to sleep in and naps make him feel weird) but I have a feeling that after this weekend, he'll actually be more tired and drained than before.

When Ariana saw his arm wrapped up, she seemed pretty impressed.  She's obsessed with bandaids and that was the biggest one she's seen.  She also told us how he can't wash his hands because it will get wet (that's often an excuse she has to not wash her hands- though it doesn't work with me.)

So on with the Percocet and I hope that he feels better tomorrow.  I also hope that in six weeks his elbow will be better than before.  You see, if you were wondering during this post, this surgery was to correct a problem that has been developing in his elbow for some time as a result of previous injuries through Judo and some arthritis.    '

Feel better soon honey!

1 comment:

Mark and Emily said...

Oh Katie, I got a little nervous reading the title to this post based on your previous 2 posts!! I thought maybe you needed to resort to percocet to help you get through!! LOL!

Poor Reuben, I hope he recovers soon. His body might go all wierd on him after getting so much sleep!