Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Raising a Bilingual Child

So many of you may know that we are attempting to raise our children learning both English and Chinese. Both Reuben and I know that it's important for them, not just because it's a good skill, but it's part of helping the kids identify with who they are. To aid in this we read to them in Chinese, let them watch tv in Chinese (little Einsteins, mickey's clubhouse, disney movies), and have Ariana in Chinese preschool two whole days a week. We talk to her in Chinese, pray in Chinese, and are trying to start reading the Book of Mormon in Chinese during Family Home Evening.

I have to say that thus far it hasn't been too bad. Ariana couldn't talk back and explain things so it was kinda fun. Now, however, it's getting pretty difficult.

Actually in some ways we now know that what we've done has really been successful. Her language skills were slower as she was learning two languages at once and for a while I was worried because other kids seemed more advanced. I know though that her focus hasn't been in language until recently. She's a pretty physical kid and has skills that other kids her age don't and can't do. She is pretty well coordinated (except on the wet kitchen floor after a spill.) When my mom came she helped calm my fears. She said Ariana's language, even in English was normal and even seemed somewhat advanced! But I see that sometimes she doesn't understand and she doesn't say full sentences in English.

Her language is advancing really well now. She says many full sentences in Chinese (one of her first was "I like sushi") and prays according to our prompts. She's in her language prime. But now there is a different problem. She is getting more and more skilled at a rate that is faster that me in my old age. She constantly asks, "Na shi shenme?" (what's that?) and sometimes I don't know the answer. I can be creative, say it in English, or look it up and tell her later, but I really want her to know. I'm scared that she is really being held back because her mom isn't a fluent speaker. It's a bit like she's being raised by a Chinese-speaking retard.

Most of the research says that the native speaker parent should use their native tongue but since that's the dad and sometimes she is with the kids only an hour a day, that's really not going to help them speak Chinese. Moreover, Reuben doesn't want the kids to be regarded as the odd parent, the weirdo speaking Chinese.

I'm not worried about the kids knowing English fluently. Ariana can already understand almost everything and I know that in kindergarten, she'll probably completely catch up in a month. What I'm most worried about it her brain development by being taught language by someone with a limited vocabulary.

My only hope right now is to get really good as fast as I can. I wish that this was easy- but I'm been studying for a long time and don't have natural talent.

What do you guys think? What should I do? should I give up?

4 comments:

Carrie said...

oh, Katie, don't give up! I think that raising your kids bilingual is awesome, and it sounds like Ariana is going to be great. I wouldn't worry about her at all.

What you're doing - learning Chinese yourself, and using it so much with Ariana - is truly amazing. You are incredibly smart and gifted. You've already accomplished so much with everything (Chinese, school, life) that you shouldn't hold yourself back because of self doubt. If Ariana asks you something you don't know, answer her in Chinese, "I don't know. Let's look it up." You don't have to be perfect to be a good teacher for her. You're doing fabulous already.

Katie B.C. said...

thanks Carrie that sounds good but it is getting hard. Reuben and I decided that we just need to start carrying dictionaries around to look everything up. Hopefully Ariana will be patient with that.

julie said...

katie, i'm supposedly "fluent" as in i spoke chinese growing up. but i definitely don't know every word and a lot of times i feel rusty. i think you're doing a great job. the kids stop asking about new words after awhile and just end up using english when they don't know the chinese. i feel like it has gotten harder once they started K full time and they learn more english. it ends up suprassing their chinese. sigh. o well. we can only do our best. the dictionary idea is great! =)

Anonymous said...

Katie, do you think that I had all the answers? How many times did we look it up?
I think Ariana is doing great. I think most 2 year olds don't want to go to bed, there is too much other stuff they would like to do. Don't give up.
Love Mom